Since 1998, the Atlanta Braves have held all their spring training games and practices at the ESPN Wide World of Sports complex, which is located in Walt Disney World. The site is one of the largest spring training facilities there is and hosts a variety of competitions and events which are often televised. The stadium has been the site of a few Tampa Bay Rays regular season games and even hosted the inaugural World Baseball Classic.
ESPN Wide World of Sports
700 South Victory Way
Kissimmee, FL 34747
View Larger Map
If you decide to go, be careful. Spring Training is addictive. It might be something you'll want to do over and over again, especially being so close to Walt Disney World, Universal Studios and the rest of the Orlando theme parks. I would put these as #1 and #2 on this list, however, there are a few you can do that are fun and relatively inexpensive.
1) ESPN Wide World of Sports Grill - Located about a baseball throw away from Champion Stadium. Literally, this restaurant it right next to the stadium and features a nice selection of food for all ages. Large HD TVs are located throughout the restaurant so you never miss a game. There is a huge video game room that features some of the hottest games of the day.
2) Downtown Disney - This part of Disney World is actually FREE to get into and stroll around. It's only a short drive, but if you are staying within the Walt Disney World Resort, you can take the bus. There are tons of places to shop, like the World of Disney and the Lego Imagination Center. There is a huge dragon outside that was made with Legos! Restaurants like the T-Rex and Rain Forest Cafe feature life sized animated creatures and are fun for the whole family. You can even make your own dinosaur at T-Rex. Downtown Disney also features Planet Hollywood, House of Blues and Fulton's Crab House. Looking for some night life? Check out the clubs on Pleasure Island or catch a show at Cirque du Soleil.
3) Watch a LIVE Orlando Magic game - The Magic opened a their new arena, the Amway Center in 2010. It's a state of the art complex located in downtown Orlando. It currently has the largest jumbotron in the NBA.
4) Orlando Paintball - They open 7 days a week from Noon until Midnight. Friday and Saturday, they are open until 6am! Indoor and outdoor fields allow you to play rain or shine.
5) Church Street Station - Located in Downtown Orlando, tons of clubs, bars and restaurants.
6) Visit the Detroit Tigers Spring Training Complex - The Detroit Tigers train about 30 minutes south in Lakeland, FL. They've held every spring training there since 1934.
Labels: Atlanta Braves Spring Training, Disney World, ESPN Wide World of Sports, Orlando, Orlando Magic, Orlando Paintball, Things to do in Kissimmee Florida